The Palm Springs International Film Society is always looking for talented interns who want to learn more about film, communications, event planning, and business management.
The Film Society offers a comprehensive program in which interns gain skills in their chosen field, learn the workings of a non-profit organization, and experience how a film festival operates from the inside. We are proud to host a new cohort of interns each season to learn about and contribute to the process of putting on two major international film festivals and other year-round programming. Internships offer a stipend upon completion.
To apply, please complete an internship application by clicking the 'Apply Now' link below. Applications for the 2019 Palm Springs International Film Festival will be accepted September 8 through November 15, 2018.
CURRENT INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
PALM SPRINGS INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 2019
Those interested must commit to working 120 hours. Most internships run December through January, some require a longer commitment.
We will be accepting intern applicants for the following departments: Guest relations, Marketing, Production, Programming, Social Media, and Special Events.
GUEST RELATIONS: Guest Relations Interns are responsible for performing a wide variety of tasks to assist the Guest Relations Department with meeting the travel, accommodation and hospitality needs of our visiting filmmakers, industry guests, media professionals and other guests. This is a great opportunity to learn about the internal operations of a festival, communicating with guests, and play an active role in organizing guest travel and accommodations.
Elements of the internship include:
- Answer guest questions via phone and email
- Welcome guests upon arrival
- Serve as an on-going presence in our guests suite and at events
- Track guests in Filemaker Pro and update guest information
- Help support the operations of our Guest and Industry Suite
- Work with production staff to support moving the GR offices to the Business Center
- Gather office supplies and other necessities for Hospitality Suite
- Assemble individual welcome packets at the Guest Relations Business Center
- Provide support for all aspects of the Guest Relations department
- Must be able to commit to 20hrs/week
- Superb organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Must enjoy meeting and assisting guests and volunteers
- Excellent computer skills - experience with Filemaker Pro or database is a plus
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and be a self starter
- Candidates should be able to work under strict deadlines
SPECIAL EVENTS: The Special Events Intern will work along side the Special Events Manager to plan and execute special events including evening parties and filmmaker events and will provide a range of administrative and production support to the festival team. The Palm Springs International Film Fest will provide insight and practical experience into event planning arena, logistical support of special events, knowledge of conflict resolution and guest satisfaction and the day-to-day operations of a film festival.
Elements of the internship include:
- Assisting in communications around event management including BEOs, timelines, calendars, reports, diagrams
- Ensure correct sponsor signage is displayed for individual parties
- Assist Special Events Manager with updating and maintaining alcohol delivery/tracking sheets, flow charts, volunteer schedules and guest lists for individual parties
- Support the Special Events Manager in planning of event logistics
- Coordinate supply and production deliveries
- Assisting with on-site event execution to include set up, break-down and AV support
- Monitor Party RSVP email when needed
- Assisting in providing customer service to party attendees and supporting volunteers
- Must be able to commit to 20 hours/week | longer hours during festival (Jan 3-14)
- Strong interpersonal, verbal (including phone work) and written communication skills
- Intermediate computer processing skills including Microsoft Office Suite and Internet
- Ability to lead as well as follow and execute instructions effectively
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, adaptable, flexible, self-motivated, solution driven and be able to work independently
- Must be able to work nights and weekends
- Must have a reliable vehicle
- Must be able to have FUN and be a team player
- Interest in Special Events and/or Hospitality Industry
- College coursework or comparable work experience preferred
- Applicants must be 21+ in order to handle alcohol distribution, transport, and inventory
- Preference will be given to those seeking academic credit
We ask that our interns have a strong interest in the field they are pursuing, whether it is film, communications/marketing or event planning, and are able to commit to working at least 20 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks. Applicants must have a strong work ethic, be computer proficient and a team player.
"Interning at the Palm Spring Film Festival I was able to get first-hand experience and learn the process of a festival from the beginning stages. The staff was wonderful to work with and I enjoyed all the networking opportunities. Overall, it really was a unique and amazing time."
-Kelanie A., Programming Intern
"Interning with Special Events was an unforgettable, hands-on experience. Day or night I looked forward to the fun, fast paced environment interacting with a welcoming staff, volunteers, VIPs, talent and more. I dedicated many hardworking hours learning as much as possible along the way. I was excited when I was asked to return for the ShortFest 2013. I'm grateful for the opportunity and the knowledge I can carry with me in my future endeavors."
- Maria A., Special Events Intern
"My very first internship was at PSIFF and I can't stress how much it's paid off for me and my career! Not only is it fun and educational, but you get to hobnob with the industry's elite. The internship is truly immeasurable in value!"
- Aaron C., PSIFF intern