The Palm Springs International Film Society is always looking for talented interns who want to learn more about film, communications, event planning, and business management.
The Film Society offers a comprehensive program in which interns gain skills in their chosen field, learn the workings of a non-profit organization, and experience how a film festival operates from the inside. We are proud to host a new cohort of interns each season to learn about and contribute to the process of putting on two major international film festivals and other year-round programming. Internships offer a stipend upon completion.
Palm Springs International Film festival Internships
Interested candidates must commit to working at least 120 hours. Most internships run November through January, some require a longer commitment. Palm Springs International Film festival runs January 2-13 and longer hours will be required on and around these dates.
We are currently looking for internship applicants for the programming department and will be accepting internship applicants for the other respective departments in the near future.
CURRENT INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
PROGRAMMING INTERN | September 30, 2019 - January 17 2020
This position is for an individual highly interested in film, filmmaking, production, and/or programming. Working with the programming team, the intern will assist with administrative tasks and on-site programming responsibilities including Q&As, program intros, corresponding with filmmakers, and pre-screening submissions. The Palm Springs International Film Festival will provide insight and practical experience into festival programming, film review, managing content, film research, and the day-to-day operations of a film festival.
Elements of the internship include:
- Research and input film titles from international film festivals into the database
- Assist with assembling and logging publicity materials for confirmed films
- Input and check film information, credits and confirmation forms
- Assist with website updates on film and program pages
- Inputting confidential ballot tallies
- Conduct introductions and Q&A sessions before and after film screenings as needed
- Assist with other administrative duties as needed
- Must be able to commit to 20 hours/week | longer hours during festival (January 2-13)
- Strong interpersonal, verbal (including phone work) and written communication skills
- Intermediate computer processing skills including Microsoft Office Suite and Internet
- Ability to follow and execute instructions effectively
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, adaptable, self-motivated, and be able to work independently
- Must be able to work some nights and weekends
- Must have a reliable vehicle
- Must be able to have FUN and be a team player
We ask that our interns have a strong interest in the field they are pursuing, whether it is film, communications/marketing or event planning, and are able to commit to working at least 20 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks. Applicants must have a strong work ethic, be computer proficient and a team player.
"Interning at the Palm Spring Film Festival I was able to get first-hand experience and learn the process of a festival from the beginning stages. The staff was wonderful to work with and I enjoyed all the networking opportunities. Overall, it really was a unique and amazing time."
-Kelanie A., Programming Intern
"Interning with Special Events was an unforgettable, hands-on experience. Day or night I looked forward to the fun, fast paced environment interacting with a welcoming staff, volunteers, VIPs, talent and more. I dedicated many hardworking hours learning as much as possible along the way. I was excited when I was asked to return for the ShortFest 2013. I'm grateful for the opportunity and the knowledge I can carry with me in my future endeavors."
- Maria A., Special Events Intern
"My very first internship was at PSIFF and I can't stress how much it's paid off for me and my career! Not only is it fun and educational, but you get to hobnob with the industry's elite. The internship is truly immeasurable in value!"
- Aaron C., PSIFF intern